Friday, March 29, 2013

The Easter Story



Today we remember the crucifixion of Jesus Christ. Most of us will choose not to eat any meat, others of us may choose to fast and the majority of us will find ourselves in church listening to the familiar 7 last words and reliving that very special event that took place over 2000 years ago.  What does the last seven words mean to you? What did He mean when He said It is finished? Why is Easter so special?

  Here are some things that go through my mind each time the Easter season comes around- lets turn to Isaiah 53:4-5-Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted. But he [was] wounded for our transgressions, [he was] bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace [was] upon him; and with his stripes we are healed. 

 
I am greatful that He did not just die for my sins but that He also took away all my grief and my sorrows. So as His children, we should not be carrying what he took away from us so many years ago. The time of hauling around my sorrows and grief "is finished". Our grief and our sorrow caused Him to look as one diseased and punished by God. Jesus did this for us so that we would not have to be burdened down and be full of sorrow- He exchanged our grief and sorrow for contentment and joy. Do not just see the suffering but the reason He suffered. Isaiah gives us the answer in the remainder of the verse: for our transgressions . . . for our iniquities

 
It was in our place that the Messiah suffered. To be wounded means
to be literally "pierced through." His suffering went to the core of His being.Through His suffering we were ensured peace- it is guaranteed. It is finished, all you and I need to do is receive the peace. The price has been paid. 

"And by His stripes we are healed: this is showing us that the provision for our healing is found in the suffering of Jesus. It is finished. As I reflect on these words, I am humbled to know that I could be so loved, that even before my great grandparents met, the provision was already made for all my sins, grief, sorrow, peace, and  healing. I also realize that this same act of love was also for my children, and so it is important that they also know that and understand how they too are loved. So make it your duty to let them know the fantastic meaning of Easter.

 

In His Service,

 

Vilma

  

No comments:

Post a Comment