Friday, November 16, 2012

We Can all Give Thanks



Today is day 16 of us praying for our children “50 states in 50 days”. There is still time to join us if you have not yet done so. These children and parents may have no idea that we are praying for them, but God is aware and is attentive to every detail of our prayer and that is what is most important.
Thanksgiving is fast approaching for those of us in the United States and by now most people are busy shopping and getting ready for that great thanksgiving feast. Then there is “black Friday” when some will be up at the crack of dawn, hunting down those bargains trying to get a jump start on Christmas shopping. The tradition in my family, and I am sure many other families is to say what each of us were thankful for before we started to eat that mouth watering meal. It is just amazing to see the many things that we would come up with of what we were grateful for.
A couple weeks ago I began thinking about thanksgiving, but this time it was very different. Instead of anticipation of being with family members I started to dread the thought of being with them. I thought about the stares and the whispers, the thoughts, the pity and I just wanted a way of escape. I thought about getting away to a hotel and just watch TV with room service or perhaps just lock myself in my bedroom and sleep. If anytime I was allowed a pity party I thought this would be a well deserved one. After all so much had changed in my life over this past year.
However, In the midst of it all the Holy Spirit reminded me of Psalm 42: 5- Why art thou cast down, O my soul? And why art thou disquieted in me? Hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise him for the help of his countenance. I quickly got my thoughts together and started to recount how much I still had to give God thanks for.
Like I did you may have lost a child this year, or some of you may have lost a husband, a parent, your job, or you may gotten a divorce. Perhaps your house may have gone in foreclosure, your child may have being incarcerated, dropped out of college, became pregnant and not married. You may not have all the bells and whistle for thanksgiving as things may have gotten a bit tight for you, but guess what you can still give thanks. The fact that you are reading this e-mail is one reason to be thankful. Need I say more? Be safe over the holidays, especially if you have to travel.
In His Service,

Vilma

No comments:

Post a Comment